Sunday, 21 February 2010

The Culturemouse Baftas 2010

Tonight it's the Baftas. Actors must bloody love this event, as it's the one chance where those credible and actually deserving of an award sometimes win something. It's very rare you get a genuine surprise at the Oscars - mainly because this and the Golden Globes before it have already paved the way for winners and losers - but I enjoy watching our British ceremony because of these little triumphs. It's hard to predict when they're going to give out awards to the frontrunners and when they're going to cheekily laud the homegrown talent - probably because they're not going to get the recognition they deserve next month. That's not to say the Baftas are bias - they're just more open-minded, and I think, more accommodating to the smaller artier audiences. Which is of course another reason why they should be celebrated!

So before the tears and pretty dresses tonight, I thought I'd do my own little wish list of whom I think should take away the plaudits. This is probably going to be all askew to the real thing, but I like to hope that maybe I'll get a few little smiles tonight and see some genuinely shocked faces going up to collect their trophies - a real honest "I didn't think I'd win so I haven't prepared a speech..." moment.


BEST FILM
Avatar
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Precious
Up In The Air

- Apart from The Hurt Locker I've seen them all, and Up In The Air is the best hands down. The others have their merits (she says, grimacing at Avatar's presence), but they bear no comparison to the funny, silky, clever film by Jason Reitman. So it should win. If The Hurt Locker gets it I will have no tantrum because of my ignorance and I have heard that it's good, powerful stuff. But if it's what I think it's going to be.... ugh.


OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
An Education
Fish Tank
In The Loop
Moon
Nowhere Boy

- One of the best films of 2009 - not just British films, but of all. Certainly the funniest thing I have seen in the cinema for a very long time. It won't win but I desperately want it to. Nowhere Boy hasn't a chance, it's just filler. It will probably be An Education (espesh if it doesn't win Best Film and it definitely won't win both), but it would be nice if there was an upset with one of the other films. Even Moon, which I thought was a load of balls.


BEST DIRECTOR
James Cameron for Avatar
Neill Blomkamp for District 9
Lone Scherfig for An Education
Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds

- This is a tricky one. It shouldn't be Cameron or Scherfig, but I haven't seen the other three films. Tarantino might nick it, but then again Inglourious Basterds isn't one of his best. No, I think perhaps Bigelow should win this, or even give it to newbie Blomkamp. I don't have any strong feelings either way JUST NOT CAMERON.


ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Jon Lucas, Scott Moore for The Hangover
Mark Boal for The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds
Joel Coen, Ethan Coen for A Serious Man
Bob Peterson, Pete Docter for Up

- This is a really interesting category because apart from The Hurt Locker the other contenders are all relatively under represented. So this is a real chance for another name to shine, and I would love that to be Up. If it can't win Best Film, then it should be recognised for something other than best cartoon, or whatever. But who can underestimate the Coens? A Serious Man is their best for ages (even though I loved No Country For Old Men), so I certainly wouldn't begrudge them the honour either.


BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchell for District 9
Nick Hornby for An Education
Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, Tony Roche for In The Loop
Geoffrey Fletcher for Precious
Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner for Up In The Air

- What's the point in wishing for a better outcome to this one? Nick Hornby's a shoo-in. RAGH. But if a miracle were to fall on London tonight, please, please give it to Jason Reitman. If he's not included in Best Director (a shocker), then at least give him credit for his excellent and bittersweet script. Or if you want to keep it in the family I'm sure Armando and co wouldn't mind some recognition either...


FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

Broken Embraces
Coco Before Chanel
Let The Right One In
A Prophet
The White Ribbon


- Now looking at the shortlist for this award I'd say it's pretty open. They're either by a prestigious director or they've had critical acclaim that now just needs to the cherry on top statuette. Problem is the two I have seen - Let The Right One In and A Prophet - I found underwhelming and I don't understand the hype they've kicked up, especially with the former. But I feel it's between those two plus Haneke's The White Ribbon that enjoyed success at Cannes. That may be in fact its downfall - I think on-trend vampires will suck this one up unfortunately. 


ANIMATED FILM
Coraline
Fantastic Mr Fox
Up

- I loved them all, but Up will win it and rightly. Next.


LEADING ACTOR
Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart
George Clooney for Up in the Air
Colin Firth for A Single Man
Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker
Andy Serkis for Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll 

- This is a dead cert for Colin Firth, and because the Oscar next month isn't a certainty, this should provide some welcome appreciation for the best performance of his career. It will be a popular win too. I just can't see any of the others getting it.


LEADING ACTRESS
Carey Mulligan for An Education
Saoirse Ronan for The Lovely Bones
Gabourey Sidibe for Precious
Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia
Audrey Tautou for Coco Before Chanel 

- Again, no surprise who's going to win here, but I would love it if it were Meryl Streep for her warm and affecting performance as Julia Child. She's just darling in Julie and Julia, and the tiny part where it's revealed she can't have children is heartbreaking. Please give her the award!


SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alec Baldwin for It’s Complicated
Christian McKay for Me and Orson Welles
Alfred Molina for An Education
Stanley Tucci for The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds 

- A tough category for me to judge as I've only seen An Education, and I didn't think Alfred Molina was that great. I'll just say who will win - Christopher Waltz - and move on. It's not a very strong line up this one, and Peter Capaldi is rudely absent.


SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Anne-Marie Duff for Nowhere Boy
Vera Farmiga for Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick for Up in the Air
Mo'Nique for Precious
Kristin Scott-Thomas for Nowhere Boy 

- Now here's an award I feel strongly about! Back before the awards season began Up In The Air was the film that everyone was pushing to the front, saying it was the one to beat in almost all categories. But since the ceremonies started happening, it's actually been overlooked in favour of others. And it probably will be tonight, but other than wanting some love for writer and director Jason Reitman, I really really want some love for little starlet Anna Kendrick. She is adorable in this film, absolutely the best thing about it and I really hope she wins tonight. *begs to the awards gods* It's a shoot out between her and Mo'Nique, and she's the underdog. But we all know how much the Brits love their underdogs....


ORANGE RISING STAR AWARD
Jesse Eisenberg
Nicholas Hoult
Carey Mulligan
Tahar Rahim
Kristen Stewart

- Carey Mulligan has this one in the bag, and I think that's appropriate. She is remarkably good for her young age and as the winner of this award goes on to bigger and better things she already has a clear headstart.


I think I'm going to be pretty disappointed tonight, but we shall see! The Baftas are on BBC 1 tonight at 9pm.Wear your best.


No comments:

Post a Comment