Monday, 27 September 2010

Through The Grater This Week



Randomly Through the Grater This Week is at the start of the week! It's like I'm predicting the week's news, but with the news of last week... :-/

TV news is few and far between at the moment what with new season premieres exploding about all over the place (I think we're just about done now). But one piece of news that did make me giggle a bit - a Balthazar on Supernatural!  But sadly it's not Cole - BOOOOOOO! Now that would have made me sit up and pay attention to Season 6 - and we need giggles at the moment. I watched episode one yesterday. I could have cried. It was awful. I got bored halfway through and started reading the TWOP forums to see what everyone else thought of it. I've never done that in the previous five years of the show! Something is very, very wrong. I only pray that not everything is at face value and Sera Gamble has some tricks up her sleeve for later in the season, because as things stand it's not even at the level of being a shadow of its former self. They might as well have hired Kaley Cuoco as their long lost sister and had done with it.

HBO are widely regarded as the best US TV network for producing quality programmes - but it occurred to me the other day that I don't really watch very many of them! Six Feet Under and Flight of the Conchords (both deceased) and that's about it. But a new show could have me interested: the new all star cast (well, Sean Bean) fantasy epic Game of Thrones. It sounds like it has a lot of potential, but the trailer left me feeling a bit cold - see what you think below.



It's based on the novel A Song of Ice and Fire and one of the developers wrote the Troy screenplay of 2004 (a film which critically condemned and historically wrong, wrong, WRONG - but I really liked! Probably because Rose Byrne was in it, *ahem*). It's due for a Spring 2011 release, so maybe we'll get a fuller trailer nearer the time. Keep your eyes on it. In the meantime, I've heard great things about Boardwalk Empire so it might be worth you (and me) checking it out.

Filums, Filums. Black Swan's rapturous reception has been doing Natalie a lot of favours - she's being offered roles here, there and everywhere! First up the leading role in Alfonso CuarĂ³n's Gravity, where she would play a female astronaut stranded on a space station after the rest of her crew is killed by debris from a satellite. Angelina Jolie (shudder) was originally attached but has since dropped out, and now the director wants Natalie for what is considered one of the top female roles going in Hollywood at the moment. Apparently Natalie is still chewing this over, but I'm not so keen. I'm all for Natalie doing different things, but a space film? Huh, name one of those I like. What sounded a much better prospect was rumours of Natalie playing Snow White in a new live-action, darker version of the fairytale, to be directed by Jean Pierre Jeunet. Yes - of Amelie fame! And barring his new one, a filmmaker whose every film I have watched and loved (apart from maybe Alien Resurrection which was just a weird tangent for him). Natalie doing a Jeunet film would be a dream come true! *eyes sparkle* But this was soon dismissed by her reps as false. Curses! Okay in hindsight it may have been ridiculous to watch, but it's a darn sight better than having her head in a goldfish bowl.

Another film that makes a poor trailer, but could be brilliant:


Out January 28.

I added my retro TV post the other day for anyone who's yet to catch it. If I did a retro book one - and I might - one series of books that would definitely feature is Goosebumps. They did make a TV series back in the 2000s, but by then I was looking past the watershed. But some intriguing news: a Goosebumps film is in the works! But also bizarrely, not based on any of the stories in the books. Doesn't that just make it an ordinary teeny horror film, then?! Seems a bit odd to me. The guy at the helm, Carl Ellsworth, wrote Disturbia which I unashamedly loved when it came out in 2007. So this could be good, but I think they've missed a trick not developing one of R.L. Stine's original goose-pimply tales. My favourite? The very first - Welcome to Dead House.

Which leads me nicely into a teeny horror film that's already done and made - and here's the trailer!


Deranged Blair - oh yes!

Going back to books being made into films... I may be halfway to 50 in a couple of months, but I still read a lot of Young Adult fiction (generally my loyalty to Kate Cann, which is now waning). And a bit ago a book called Wicked Lovely made my 'to read' list. I don't remember why - obviously something about evil faeries attracted my interest that day, but I went back to it a few months later and realised it looked ridiculous and crossed it off the list. Well now it's come back to haunt me as Universal wants it on the big screen. Unfortunately, it will probably go down the Twilight route so I doubt this will ever come up on my radar again.

A new comedy with a likable cast?


I love that it's based on a morning TV programme called Daybreak! Fnarrr!

Book news to end on. I just wanted to add a note about the lonnnnnnnng (for me, anyway) awaited film version of PrepNoah Baumbach has written a draft screenplay for it! Eeeeeee! OK, it looks like it's been pushed back behind a few other projects, but it exists and it is still on, according to the wonderfully talented director who is responsible for The Squid and the Whale, The Life Aquatic, Greenberg, Fantastic Mr Fox, Margot at the Wedding... argh, amazing films. It makes me so happy inside to know Prep is in such safe hands! 

The shortlist for the 2010 Man Booker Prize has been announced. The lucky few are:

  • Parrot and Olivier in America - Peter Carey
  • Room - Emma Donoghue
  • In A Strange Room - Damon Galgut
  • The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson
  • The Long Song - Andrea Levy
  • C - Tom McCarthy
It's not in my remit to read all of them (who has the time, dahling?) but I will get around to reading Room, especially - but a lot of these are still in evil hardbacks at the moment - grrr! The winner is announced on December 9th. In culturemouse book news, I'm currently reading this:



Yes, I know - not even on my 'to read' list! I'm better at reading books when I'm travelling too - I read the first 100 or so pages of this in a flash on a train back from Somerset, but now I've stalled slightly and I'm losing the flow of the story. And it's so long I better get back in there! Hmmm, maybe I'll go do some now...


No comments:

Post a Comment