Friday, 4 May 2012

US PILOTS 2012/3: ALL THE REST



                                                                        







Sorry about the slight delay guys, forgot I was seeing Isy Suttie yesterday so couldn't update! Onto the home stretch now - what all the other channels have on offer for the upcoming Fall season. We have picks from Fox, who despite delivering the goods with New Girl last year have been on a drought of late. We also have Showtime, new for this year but I am putting my trust in them after the excellent Homeland. F/X produced one of my favourite new shows of last year, American Horror Story - can they do the same again? And welcome to the grid Netflix, who have some exciting projects on the horizon - projects you'll be able to see in their entirety straight away. The future of television starts here!


Mastermind* (FOX)
Tell me now: An ex FBI agent intent on tracking down a notorious serial killer who is using technology to create a whole cult of killers.
And who's in it: Kevin Bacon is playing the FBI agent, hired to track down serial killer James Purefoy (Rome). Also starring: Maggie Grace (Lost), Natalie Zea (Justified) and Shawn Ashmore (Frozen). 
Should I care?: It's the only interesting pilot Fox have in their entire bag, so thank God it's a goodie! A brilliant cast headed by Kevin Bacon, and an always interesting (at least for me) genre as well of the mystery/horror/crime blend. Plus, this is the latest TV drama from Kevin Williamson (Scream, The Vampire Diaries) so as well as 100% chance of being picked up, it will also be utter class. *Working title


Masters of Sex (SHOWTIME)
Tell me now: Drama about the pioneers of the science of human sexuality whose research touched off the sexual revolution.
And who's in it: Our pioneers are Lizzy Caplan (New Girl, Mean Girls) and Michael Sheen (Frost/Nixon) and they are joined by Beau Bridges (The Descendants), Teddy Sears (American Horror Story) and Caitlin Fitzgerald (Damsels in Distress).
Should I care?: Fabulous cast (Sheen was brought in as a replacement for Paul Bettany) and that's the main drive behind me putting this in, as details on the plot are very vague - I'm still not completely sure what it's about other than, erm, sex. It's based on Tom Maier's book and has been described as "somewhere between House and Mad Men." Oooh!


Port Royal (F/X)
Tell me now: Chronicling the rise of Jamaica's "richest and wickedest" city in the new world set in the 17th Century.
And who's in it: None as yet, still in development.  
Should I care?: PIRATES! I can't believe none of the other Networks have taken the opportunity yet to create a pirate series, filled with adventure and swashbucklin' plunderin' on the high seas and smuggling and deadly duels in the streets. I bloody love pirates, and would watch this in a heartbeat. Scott Rosenbaum (V, Chuck) is currently writing the pilot episode. Not to be confused by the latest Michael Bay announcement for Starz! Which will be shit.


House of Cards (NETFLIX)
Tell me now: A politician grows more corrupt as his ambitions grow. 
And who's in it: Kevin Spacey (American Beauty) has been cast as the corrupt politician, alongside Robin Wright (Moneyball), Kate Mara (American Horror Story), Corey Stoll (Midnight in Paris) and Kristen Connolly (The Cabin in the Woods).
Should I care?: This is the first original scripted drama to be announced by Netflix (though based on the British series in the 90s), and boy is it a biggie! Estimated at $100 million, with 26 episodes ordered (over two seasons) and David Fincher directing, it boasts a huge pedigree and they sure must have some confidence in this one. The premise sounds a little draggy (forget Veep) but what's great about this is you'll have the whole series at your disposal to watch instantly so if it's a grower, it's no problem.


Hemlock Grove (NETFLIX)
Tell me now: After the murder of a young girl in a small town, the hunt is on to find her killer - but the suspects may not be human...
And who's in it: Famke Janssen (Nip/Tuck), Landon Liboiron (Terra Nova), Bill Skaragard, and Dougray Scott (My Week With Marilyn). 
Should I care?: Yes, I am all for a new horror series, especially one from a master such as Eli Roth (Cabin Fever, Hostel) who will be adapting the book written by Brian McGreevy for Netflix - slated for early 2013. This has the potential to go either way - cult hidden classic on a non-broadcast service, or utter shambles best hidden away. I'm definitely hoping for the former - I want all horror to succeed on the small screen and with more books due this definitely has legs. Or tentacles, or claws, whatever. And it's been compared to Twin Peaks!


So that's all my picks - in a couple of weeks we'll know what's been picked up and what didn't make the grade. Despite all my fawning, there's a very insightful article here on what's leading the pack at the moment, but when we know things for sure, I'll be writing them up here on culturemouse and on the Facebook page. Exciting times!


No comments:

Post a Comment