Wednesday, 2 May 2012

US PILOTS 2012/3: NBC


I seem to be having a lot of trouble with NBC shows at the moment, particularly having the patience to sustain watching any of them. I grew bored of Grimm and Smash very quickly, and probably would have gone the same way with The Playboy Club had they not yanked it off the air anyway. And with the likelihood of cancellation hanging over Awake it has made me reluctant to really commit to watching it, just in case there proves to be no point if it doesn't go beyond Season 1. So I take the following choices with a degree of scepticism, as I may not be in for the long haul...


Friday Night Dinner
Tell me now: Jewish family The Goodmans get together every Friday night for dinner with their two sons.
And who's in it: The eccentric parents will be Tony Shalhoub (Monk) and Allison Janney (The Help, Juno), with their two suitably embarrassed sons Kevin Bigley and Gil Ozeri. Also cast: David Koechner (The Office US) and Gary Anthony Williams (Malcolm in the Middle).
Should I care?: Well I LOVED Friday Night Dinner when it was shown on C4 last year, so I'm excited to see what the US remake is going to be like, and the cast is really promising. I just hope the writing talent of Greg Daniels (who created Parks and Recreations) can live up to the high standard of Robert Popper ("why do you put salt in everything?!").


Next Caller Please
Tell me now: Comedy set in a satellite radio station on a show run by an alpha male and his female co-host.
And who's in it: The radio show will be hosted by Dane Cook (Dan in Real Life) and Collette Wolfe (Young Adult) with Joy Osmanski and Ryan Devlin. Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development) is also set to star, but only as a cameo role in the pilot.
Should I care?: There's something about this set-up which intrigues me (set in a small radio station) and I think it could be brilliant if the writing stacks up and it's zany enough. It's created by Stephen Falk who did Weeds - which I've never watched, so I can't really comment on his humour - but I'm keeping an eye on this one.


Beautiful People
Tell me now: A drama set 10 minutes in the future where families of mechanical beings exist to serve the human population - until some of them begin to awaken.
And who's in it: James Murray (Primeval), Patrick Heusinger, Frances Conroy (American Horror Story), Megalyn Echikunwoke (Damsels in Distress), Andrea Parker, Cody Christian (both Pretty Little Liars).
Should I care?: Yes and no. As well as being one of the most exciting sounding pilots of the whole Fall season, let alone on NBC, it also has that uncomfortable familiar feeling about it...the feeling of being cancelled after 5 episodes. I hope it has the longevity to really be a success though, as it sounds like uber sci fi fun.


The Frontier
Tell me now: A group follow their dreams by travelling West from Missouri across uncharted country in the 1840s.
And who's in it: Ethan Embry (Brotherhood), Megan Ferguson, Jake McLaughlin (Warrior), Bridget Regan, Gina Bramhill (Being Human).
Should I care?: I'm not a huge fan of anything 'western', but there's something about this which reminds me of Meek's Cutoff - more to do with the relationships of characters and discovering new land than a dreary Sunday afternoon drama. I can't imagine this on NBC though - surely it would be more at home on cable? To preserve the period of the time will be a feat for a Network channel.


Midnight Sun
Tell me now: A female FBI agent begins to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a commune in Alaska, and uncovers a much larger conspiracy in the process.
And who's in it: Julia Stiles (Dexter) will be playing the lead role, along side Titus Welliver (Lost), Emma Bell (The Walking Dead), Michael Raymond-James (True Blood) and Connor O'Farrell (CSI).
Should I care?: SMALL TOWN MYSTERY ALERT! And not only that, but it's set in Alaska! Love.It. I'm hoping for the moodiness of The Killing, but more likable characters and a plot that really jogs along. Based on an Israeli format, this has been brought to the USA by Noah Stollman and Lisa Zwerling (Awake, Flash Forward).


Revolution*
Tell me now: A family struggles to reunite in a post apocalyptic world where technology no longer exists.
And who's in it: Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Billy Burke (24), Tracy Spiridakos (Being Human), and Graham Rogers.
Should I care?: Well, well, well - what happens when two giants of culturemouse television join up together to create their own TV show? That's what we have here. This is the new project - and sure to be picked up - from JJ Abrams (everything) and Eric Kripke (Supernatural). Completely fascinated how this is going to turn out - it's on the list! Oh, and *this was the working title but has now been scrapped, and we go into the upfronts with it still being "untitled project".


I'll be rounding out the rest of the channels tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. i will definitely watch the 2 sci-fi shows. midnight sun sounds interesting. i might try the western.

    ReplyDelete